Sunday, June 28, 2009

Broccoli Slaw

I happen to not care for raw broccoli - I find it to be too bitter. So, in this recipe I ligthly steam it to take away that bitterness.


Ingredients:

2 crowns broccoli
1/4 cup chopped pecans
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup Craisins
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs sugar
salt and pepper


Directions:

Wash broccoli and cut off the bottom of the crown, leaving florets with long stems. Using a food processor, shred the broccoli. (You can buy pre-shredded broccoli slaw - I've sometimes have a hard time finding it, so I usually just make it myself).

Steam the shredded broccoli for 5 minutes. This is just long enough to remove some of the bitterness, but allows it to maintain it's crispness.

Refrigerate the steamed, shredded broccoli for 1 hour before assembling the rest of the salad.

In the bottom of a small mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar and salt and pepper. Stir in the broccoli, Craisins and green onions. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Just before serving, stir in the pecans.


Serves 4 - 6

No comments: