Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Stove Top Corn Bread


Ingredients:

1 box Jiffy corn bread mix
1/3 cup milk
1 large egg
1 Tbs butter


Directions:

Melt butter in a medium non-stick skillet over medium low heat (3 1/2 on my stove).

In a small mixing bowl stir together the corn bread mix, milk and egg. Scrape out of bowl and into the skillet. Cover the skillet with a lid and cook for about 20 minutes. Do not lift the lid while it's cooking - the lid makes a mini oven. Once it's cooked, remove the pan from the heat. Place a plate upside down, over the pan. Invert the pan and the cornbread should come right out on to the plate.


Serves 6


My husband absolutely loves cornbread. And since I really try to not use the oven during the summer, I came up with this recipe so that he can still get his corn bread fix). You can dress this recipe up by adding chopped green onions to the batter or any assortment of spices (chili powder, cumin, paprika, Cayenne powder, chipotle powder etc). My husband happens to be a purist when it comes to his corn bread so I've learned not to mess with it.

No comments: